Saturday, July 16, 2011

Taking Time

This may be obvious, but I feel like I'm stumbling on a realization that pops up again and again in my life:  

If you want to do something, you have to make time for it

I've begun to take time to accomplish one of my new goals, training for a 5k.  Right now I'm dedicating 15-30 minutes a day to this goal, following the training program I mentioned.  I can expect the amount of time dedicated to this goal to increase, as I'm only a beginner right now.  

Even as I'm not working at a regular job, I'm staying busy.  Part of this whole 27by28 project is the realization that I want to get more out of my life.  I want to do things but haven't put in the time.  

Funny how a lightbulb went off this week when I ran into a friend who is working in retail, applying to PhD programs, volunteers with a film festival, runs, and has been taking classes to build her skills.  She said she schedules an hour into each week to sit down and work on creative projects.  It's not that the concept is new, it's that I'm not using it.  This friend graduated from the same film program I did, but started a few years after I did.  She came out with two degrees.  She's keeping the ball rolling on filmmaking, whereas I've only taken time to improve when it was directly related to the work I'm doing.

A lack of schedule has been bothering me for some time.  A week ago I picked up this organizer.  I'm ready to stop having things slip through the cracks.

Do you keep a schedule? What do you make time for?  Is there something you wish you could add to your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment