Sunday, July 17, 2011

How's Your Vocabulary?

I know ~26,700 words. 
As long as I can remember, my Dad has made up words and names and used them regularly around us.  My sister and I had at least 5 different nicknames at any time growing up and incantations were hurled at us instead of swear words when we were little, resulting most often in laughter.  I inherited the word-play "gene" and began replacing adjectives with my own confections sometime in high school.  "Golden ice cream" was used for "wonderful", for example.  Not reading books, but the internet, may have also contributed to the my feeling I didn't really know many words.  Now it's confirmed, my vocabulary falls in the 45th percentile for American native speakers ages 18+.  Time to hit the books!

Test yourself here: Test Your Vocabulary

No comments:

Post a Comment