Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Love This Week: Inspiring People I Know & Places They Live

View from atop my sister's new building
My sister is growing up!  She's younger than me, but has always known she wanted to be a teacher.  This week I helped move her from her college town to new digs within miles of the school she will be working at in the fall.  Because of Michigan's economic and housing woes, a pair of young, hard-working teachers (my sister and her friend) are able to rent in a high rise building for the same price as a shared house apartment.  The view's a bit nicer, as are the amenities!  So proud.  Also, we moved out of her old apartment (with 3 flights of stairs), drove with the movers behind us for over an hour, and hauled everything out of of their truck, up an elevator & into her apartment in under 3 hours!  The movers said this was a record for them & that usually people don't help them.  That's how you do it!
Where the roommates in this story and I lived
This week I also got to catch up with a couple of old roommates and another friend all in the same night.  There's never enough time when you're trying to catch up, but I'm very excited for both of the girls, J and C, as I'm finding out they're each going to the same graduate school.  They're super smart and will whip their respective programs.  The other friend, M, is a writer for Geekosystem, in New York, which is awesome too.  All three of them contributed to the school humor magazine regularly--I wasn't that involved but managed to get a couple of pieces published.  Two of these people are now writing online humor as Brine Weekly.
Freezer from my old place
Another inspiring person this week is a friend from high school, J.  He completed and PR'd in a half-marathon this week!  This guy is super fit and mindful.  When I think about running a 5k, I imagine being as joyful about the actual running.  Sometimes this even carries over into my practice.  He introduced me to iamamiwhoami, this amazing electronic music multimedia collaboration fronted by a Swedish pop singer, Jonna Lee.  It would be amazing to live in a box maze world!

video for u-2 by iamamiwhoami
What did you love this week?  What is good right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment